Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cotorra Patriota- Patriotic Parrot

I am a huge fan of taking ideas I see and making them into new ideas stemming from my mental bin...I bought this magazine a while back called "Belle Armoire Jewelry" and fell in love with all the potential ideas that were inside...There I found the tutorial for this lovely bird necklace and instantly I began the thought process of what could I do with this...As everything in my life right now is leading me back to my home land of Puerto Rico, it only seemed fit that I'd do something relating to it....


What related to Puerto Rico in this instance is the amazon parrot...We have but a few left in the island and I want to highlight their beauty and importance...What I came up with was a generic green parrot but the idea is still there...So I went and got all my materials which surprisingly I had in an easy enough to find place and began to work...Turns out kneading clay to ths shape of a parrot is a bit tough if you haven't touched clay in a while...After a couple of tries the shape was set and the parrot began to take shape...Luckily I had bought some new tools and was able to make it look just as I wanted...Instead of words on the wings I decided to put the flag on both wings so that the parrot can be worn in both sides...And now that I think of it I can also have one with parts of the national anthem on it...That'll be the next one...I baked the bird, colored the wings and assebled the necklace...I didn't just want a plain chain on it so I added some of these red and yellow bead charms...Finishing of the piece lovely...Ready to wear ready for a new home...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment